Despite advances in technology enabling complex treatments like dental implants, the fact that conventional restorative work is still used points to its crucial role in restoring beauty and function to damaged teeth.
Crowns are finely crafted pieces that are used to build up a tooth that has been chipped or broken or has become too weak to chew with. They can be made from ceramic, a combination of metal and ceramic, or a high gold alloy. Ceramic crowns can produce near perfect aesthetic results that are indistinguishable from natural teeth.
Crowns sit over and cover teeth with large fillings when there isn’t much tooth left, and can support and protect weak teeth from breaking. They’re a reliable solution for teeth that are discoloured or poorly shaped.
Bridges are used to replace one or more missing teeth, bridging the gap between the adjacent teeth and fusing one or more false teeth to crowns fixed to either side. Bridges provide good eating function while looking natural and maintaining the dental arch. They are also durable and resist stains.
Both crowns and bridges are permanent, which means once they are bonded into place they can’t be taken out of the mouth. Your treatment coordinator and dentist at Portmore will discuss the implications of this at length with you so that it’s clear how your treatment will look and feel before you make a decision.
Placing a bridge or crown involves taking an impression of the tooth or teeth they will sit on, in order to make a model for our dental technician. In the meantime you may be fitted with a temporary crown or bridge.
Benefits of crowns
- Well made crowns are strong and look and feel like natural teeth
- The colour and shape can be matched to your own teeth
- They last for many years if looked after properly
- They are beautifully crafted works of art
Benefits of bridges
- A bridge lets you forget that you have missing teeth
- It can improve the way you look, eat and speak and bring you a renewed quality of life
- The artificial teeth are matched to the colour of your own teeth for a natural looking smile
- If you don’t want a bridge you may have the option of a denture or a dental implant.